Advocacy & Government Education Committee Chair and Governance Committee Chair
Don is the President of the Gainesville Market at Capital City Bank. His interested include energy efficient housing/commercial building upgrades and renewable energy production. Don has a dual role with the USGBC as the Advocacy & Government Education Committee Chair and the Governance Committee chair for the USGBC Heart of Florida Chapter. He also promotes his interest through other activities including Director of Florida Alliance For Renewable Energy and Sunshine State Interfaith Power & Light. Don serves as a board member of the Florida Solar Energy Industries Association. Don is also quite a history buff and promotes a healthy lifestyle through exercise and diet.
- Solar photovoltaic and hot water system financing
- Financing Antique cars and tractors
- Alachua County Affordable Housing Committee – Vice Chair
- Florida Works Board Member
- North FloridaAntique Tractor Club – Secretary
- Florida Alliance For Renewable Energy – Board Member
- Gainesville Rotary Club – Board Member
- Florida Track Club – Treasurer
- Newberry Lions Club – Farm Toy Show Chair
- Gainesville Quarterback Club – Member/Past Captain
- Leadership Florida – 2008 Graduating Class
- Leadership Gainesville – Class XVII
- Friends of Dudley Farm – Founding Member/Past President
- Newberry’s Little Red School House Museum – Past President
- Newberry Chamber - Past President – Lifetime Achievement Award
Advocacy & Government Education Committee Purpose
The Advocacy Committee promotes green building, renewable energy and sustainability initiatives within public policy, encouraging local, State and Federal governments to adopt sustainable design and development through regulation, program incentives, and green projects. The Committee strives to ensure that the Chapter is viewed as the local authority on green building, thereby promoting the USGBC LEED rating system for all construction projects. It also strives to leverage the resources and influence of the USGBC to educate and advocate for State and local government regulatory authorities to adopt sustainable building principles, policies and programs. Participants help expand the Chapter's partnerships with the general public and local municipalities, and work to identify and overcome barriers to green building that may currently exist in local building standards.
In general, the objective of the Advocacy Committee is to further green building, renewable energy and sustainability initiatives through the education of governments, agencies and associations interested in including green policies, regulations or standards within the jurisdiction of their respective responsibilities. In that broad regard, the Committee is proactive in seeking out additional groups to which to provide assistance. The Committee
outlines the opportunities and benefits related to embracing the above-noted initiatives, emphasizing the resulting robust and triple bottom line solutions that clarify and strengthen a healthy and dynamic balance between environmental, social and economic prosperity.
Governance Committee Purpose
The Governance Committee reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the Executive Committee. The committee ensures the constant health and effectiveness of the full Board and the work it performs for USGBC. The committee is responsible for overseeing and supporting the performance of the Board, and managing compliance with the organization’s mission.
Specifically the committee:
- Works with the Executive Committee and staff to help Board members live up to their highest potential as directors, be energized and engaged, and maintain value and effectiveness in their roles;
- Ensures that the bylaws and institutional memory of the organization are incorporated into all Board activities; and
- Works with the Executive Committee and Board to protect USGBC’s integrity and purpose.